MAS435 Algebraic Topology
Lecturer: Neil Strickland

Module information

The syllabus, timetable and assessment arrangements are here.

Lectures

Lectures will happen via Blackboard on Tuesdays at 11:00 and Fridays at 13:00. The number of students is very small, so these will be more like conversations than lectures.

Handwriting from lectures

Images captured on the visualiser during lectures can be seen here:


Images from previous lectures can be downloaded below.
Semester 1
Week 1, Tuesday lecture Week 1, Friday lecture
Week 2, Tuesday lecture Week 2, Friday lecture
Week 3, Tuesday lecture Week 3, Friday lecture
Week 4, Tuesday lecture Week 4, Friday lecture
Week 5, Tuesday lecture Week 5, Friday lecture
Week 6, Tuesday lecture Week 6, Friday lecture
Week 8, Tuesday lecture Week 8, Friday lecture
Week 9, Tuesday lecture Week 9, Friday lecture
Week 10, Tuesday lecture  

Lecture recordings

Semester 1
Week 3, Tuesday lecture Week 3, Friday lecture
  Week 4, Friday lecture
Week 5, Tuesday lecture Week 5, Friday lecture
Week 8, Tuesday lecture  

Notes

There is a set of lecture notes covering the full year. There is also a separate survey of examples mentioned in the course. The notes contain links to interactive demonstrations and videos. More of these will probably be added as the course proceeds. Thus, you should generally read the notes directly on the web to ensure that you have the latest version.

Interactive demonstrations

There are a number of interactive demonstrations which illustrate various points in the course. More will be added as the course progresses. There are also direct links to these demonstrations in the lecture notes and solutions to the problem sheets. There are also YouTube videos explaining all of the demonstrations, which you can find by following the above link.

Reading

Each week I will assign a section of the lecture notes. You should read and digest it. If it contains interactive demonstrations, then you should try them out after watching the associated videos. Please bring questions from your reading to the lectures.

Assessment

There will be eight homework assignments in each semester. The best five in each semester will each count for 2% of the overall course grade, making 20% in total. The remaining 80% will be based on a final exam. If we are back to normal exam arrangements, this will be a 2.5 hour formal closed book exam with five questions of equal value, of which you will be asked to complete four.

Weekly problems

These will appear here as the course progresses. Work should be submitted via Blackboard. Please either

  • Problem sheet 1. Please hand in Exercises 1, 3 and 6 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 3.
  • Problem sheet 2. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 2 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 4.
  • Problem sheet 3. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 3 before the Friday lecture of Week 5.
  • Problem sheet 4. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 3 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 6.
  • Problem sheet 5. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 3 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 8.
  • Problem sheet 6. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 2 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 9.
  • Problem sheet 7. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 2 before the Tuesday lecture of Week 10.
  • Problem sheet 8. Please hand in Exercises 1 and 2 by the end of Week 11.
  • Past exam papers

    The 2019/20 exam was online and open book. Previously we had closed book exams in the exam hall. For 2020/21, your guess is as good as mine.
    Semester 1
    2019-20 Exam Solutions
    2018-19 Exam Solutions
    2017-18 Exam Solutions
    2016-17 Exam Solutions
    2015-16 Exam Solutions
    2014-15 Exam Solutions

    Contact details

    Neil Strickland
    N.P.Strickland@sheffield.ac.uk
    Hicks Building, Room J26
    0114 2223852