Groups and Symmetry
This course is taught by Neil Strickland. My office is J26 in the Hicks Building, and my internal phone number is 23852. The best way to reach me outside of lectures is by email: N.P.Strickland@sheffield.ac.uk.
Notes, handouts, and other material
- Course information: The syllabus, recommended books, etc.
- Notes covering the geometric part of the course.
- Notes covering abstract group theory (the last section of the course).
- Notes explaining which theorems etc are examinable.
- The 1999 exam and solutions.
- A mock exam and solutions.
- Diagrams illustrating the Platonic solids and their symmetry groups.
- A link to a site at the University of Aberdeen, which illustrates the 17 symmetry types of wallpaper
Problem sets and solutions
- Problem sheet 1 and solutions.
- Problem sheet 2 and solutions.
- Problem sheet 3 and solutions.
- Problem sheet 4 and solutions.
- Problem sheet 5 and solutions.
- Problem sheet 6 and solutions.